ANAMBRA 2021: INEC HOLDS CONSULTATIVE MEETING WITH POLITICAL PARTIES & LEADERS
HIGHLIGHTS OF INEC EMERGENCY CONSULTATIVE MEETING WITH LEADERS OF POLITICAL PARTIES HELD ON FRIDAY 8TH OCTOBER 2021
2) Welcome address by Hon, Chairman-INEC
3) Response By Chairman, IPAC
4) Anambra Governorship Election
Welcome address by Hon, Chairman-INEC
• INEC chairman welcomed and thanked leaders of political parties for finding time to attend the emergency meeting regardless of the short notice. He briefed the meeting on the preparedness of the commission to conduct the Anambra election scheduled for the 6th November 2021, Security Concerns and expressed sympathy for the kidnapped gubernatorial candidate of the Labour Party, as he personally took it upon himself to engage the Inspector General of the Nigerian Police Force for urgent and further intervention.
• He disclosed that INEC has completed registration and regularization of voters in Anambra State, with a total number of 138,802 voters, either requesting transfers or replacement of PVC, whilst some 62,698 multiple registrations were discovered and subsequently cancelled.
• The Total accredited voters recorded after registration is 2,525, 471.
• The Chairman informed all that the damaged INEC offices at Akwa have now been repaired and completely refurbished, and additional security arrangement put in place.
• Further, the Chairman gave assurances on the use of electronic transmission of results and bio-metric verification of voters at the Anambra elections.
Response By Chairman, IPAC
• IPAC chairman, in his response thanked the INEC chairman for the assurance and readiness to proceed with the Anambra elections, particularly for the assurances given on the use electronic transmission of results and bio-metric verification of voters at the Anambra elections. He however warned, in his personal capacity as the chairman of his party, that the Anambra elections should only proceed if there is absolute guaranty for safety and security of lives in Anambra State.
Anambra Governorship Election & AOB
• The Chairman of Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) and few other political parties advocated for the postponement of the November 6th gubernatorial elections in Anambra State owing to the current security challenges in the State.
*• The Young Progressives Party (YPP), leading a vigourous debate against the postponement of the elections, was supported by majority of the political leaders present*
• Issues of Vote buying and Corrupt practices by INEC staff were raised and addressed by the meeting.
INEC Chairman reported that only 5 political parties as of date, have complied with registration and uploading of information of their party agents on the INEC portal, he therefore strongly advised that this must be done in the next 2 weeks as required by INEC rules. Failure to do so would result in party’s agent being denied access to serve and observe during the coming elections.