Skip to main content

Jonathan Briefs Tinubu on Guinea-Bissau Election Crisis, Describes Incident as “Ceremonial Coup”

Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Saturday met with President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, to provide a detailed briefing on the political developments surrounding the recent elections in Guinea-Bissau.

Jonathan, who led an ECOWAS Election Observation Mission to the country, clarified that what has been widely reported as a coup was, in his words, merely a “ceremonial coup” executed by the Head of State.

Speaking with journalists after the meeting, the former Nigerian leader explained that the electoral process in Guinea-Bissau had been largely concluded and that the results were already known before the political disruption occurred.

“I came this evening to brief Mr President on what happened. That is the tradition for former Presidents,” Jonathan said. “Whenever you are involved in regional or continental engagements, you must brief the President upon your return because ECOWAS leaders will meet, and I may not be there. He needs first-hand information.”

Jonathan faulted the arrest of the opposition candidate, stressing that there was no justification for the action.

“The key thing is that the election was concluded. Collation was almost completed, and the results are known. The winner must be announced,” he stated. “There is no reason to arrest the opposition candidate. He did not declare himself winner; if he had, that would have been considered treasonable. So, why arrest him?”

He urged ECOWAS leaders to engage directly with the Guinea-Bissau authorities to restore democratic order.

“ECOWAS leadership should reach out to the authorities in Guinea-Bissau. They know the right thing to do. First, release the opposition candidate because he has committed no offence. Then, the results should be announced, and whoever won should be inaugurated,” Jonathan said.

Expressing frustration over recurring political instability on the continent, he noted that Africa must move past avoidable crises.

“We are tired of negative stories every day. What happened in Guinea-Bissau was not a palace coup. We know what a real coup or palace coup looks like. This was neither. I struggled to find the right term, so I called it a ceremonial coup — one conducted by the Head of State himself.”

Jonathan reaffirmed that although the circumstances would not justify removing the military, the integrity of the electoral process must be upheld.

Popular Post

Tinubu Appoints Chioma Awuzie Substantive Rector, Fed Poly Oko

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has approved the appointment of Dr. Chioma Irene Awuzie as the substantive Rector of Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State.  Dr. Awuzie's appointment, which takes effect immediately for a five-year term, follows the recommendation of the Polytechnic's Governing Council, chaired by Sen. Dr. Barnabas Gemade, after a transparent and competitive selection process where she emerged as the leading candidate. Prior to her appointment, Awuzie, who holds a Doctorate Degree in Physical and Materials Chemistry, was a distinguished Chief Lecturer in the Department of Science Laboratory Technology (Chemistry Option) and also Director in-charge of Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFund) Projects in the Polytechnic.  Under her stewardship, Federal Polytechnic, Oko, witnessed unprecedented advancements in infrastructure and institutional transformation.  Her leadership facilitated monumental developments across the Polytechnic’s campuses in Oko, ...

Tension In Uruagu Nnewi As Community Leaders Dare Soludo,Defy Court Order

The President of Uruagu-Nnewi Development Union, Chief Sunday Okoli aka Organizer, and the Obi of Uruagu-Nnewi community in Nnewi North local government area of Anambra State, His Majesty Afamefuna Charles Obi, have swept Soludo's directive to the gutters, by reason of their suspension and subsequent dessolution of the leadership of the community's youth forum, led by Ejike Ifejiofor, and subsequent appointment of caretaker executive to pilot the affairs of youths in the community. The Anambra governor had, through a letter dated August 9, 2024, signed by the Permanent Secretary, Anambra State Ministry of Youth Development, Dr. Martin Agbili, warned the community leaders to stay any action regarding suspension of the Uruagu-Nnewi youth forum. The community had, through its PG, Chief Okoli, written to the Ministry of Youths Development, notifying the ministry of "immediate suspension" of the youth group over alleged insecurity in the area. But the ministry,...

#Watchvideo : SECURITY FORCES BURST THE CAMP OF UNKNOWN GUNMEN IN AKOKWA

Security Forces in the state through a coordinated intelligence report has bursted the camp of the unknown gunmen at Akokwa, Arondizuogu after a long gun duel which resulted to the death of some of the criminals and others arrested. These criminal elements have been known to be behind several attacks in the state such as the killing of police men in Mbaise, Aba Branch in Ehime Mbano, burning down of police stations, attack and attempted kidnapping of former Governor Ikedi Ohakim, abduction of Miss. P.P. Johnson, a female soldier in Okigwe and recently the attack in Akokwa that left many dead. It is obvious that these daredevil gunmen have been perpetuating their evil plans unabated until yesterday when their camp was bursted by security agencies. This is another assurance that our security operatives are leaving no stone unturned in the fight against banditry and other related activities. While it has become obvious that the activities of these non state actors are politically motivate...